Homeless to HigherEd aims to raise awareness about the barriers to higher education facing our nation’s poorer students, while providing guidance, resources, and assistance to American students who need it most.
REAL TALK FOR STUDENTS:
College is hard enough. Factor in the unique struggles faced by homeless youth, and it can seem impossible. But if we could do it, then so can you! We can’t solve all of your problems, but we can help you anticipate and prepare for these obstacles, and help you to overcome and learn from them. Remember-we’ve been there and lived to tell our stories!
Homelessness is nothing to be ashamed of, and it’s not your fault. Getting to college is something to celebrate. You’ve made it this far…H2H is here to help you graduate, and to get the most out of your time in college.
WHAT WE DO:
Homeless to HigherEd is a volunteer-run, 501(c)(3) tax exempt California non-profit established in August of 2013. As we develop the infrastructure required to provide assistance on a national scale, H2H is still determined to help homeless college students on a case-by-case basis. Additionally, we hope to increase visibility of the epidemic of homelessness, and to demonstrate just how possible it is to change one’s future through education.
- Care packages each semester
- Cash scholarships, based on student need and available funds
- Academic guidance and professional mentoring
- Life skills and emotional support from people who’ve been there
- Navigation assistance for the complex worlds of college administration and financial aid
- Host families that provide safe and stable housing during dorm closures
- Travel funds to return home on academic breaks